SUBJECT: Administrator Update
Greetings Westminster Health and Rehab Family,
I pray that this message finds you well. Visitation has returned to the community and it is an absolute pleasure to see everyone reconnecting with their loved ones in person. With the Spring weather upon us, please feel free to take your loved one outside to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine. If you or your loved one is sensitive to the pollen or have other allergies (Dust, grass etc.) you may wish to enjoy indoor visits until the levels of yellow subsides. As you enjoy your visit please ensure that your mask remains on at all times to reduce the likelihood and transmitting COVID-19 or any other illness. Please see the information below for an overall review of what’s happening at the community.
KEY COVID-19 UPDATE
Currently there are no new positive cases of COVID-19 in residents or staff. We continue to closely monitor our residents and staff members for any signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
DHEC performed two educational sessions about the vaccine for our community on Friday 04/16/2021. We are very grateful and appreciative of their partnership. We continue to encourage staff and residents to receive the vaccine to help protect themselves and others as COVID-19 infections and deaths continue to increase. Our pharmacy partners at Neil Medical Group have access to the vaccine and will administer it to staff members and residents. Newly admitted residents and staff will have the ability to receive the vaccine on an ongoing basis. Please call (803) 326-3100 and ask to speak to Malou Shukla our Infection Control Preventionist to learn more.
We are currently testing staff once a week utilizing the 15 minute rapid test kits. We have the availability to test as needed when there is any suspected exposure or visible signs and symptoms in staff or residents. We are currently exploring options with Andor Labs to serve as our testing partners in which this group would come onsite to perform PCR testing. Consistently testing allows us to quickly identify positive residents and staff taking the appropriate course of action expediently. The frequency of testing is subject to change as the South Carolina community rate adjusts.
The threat of COVID-19 remains very real despite many people receiving the vaccine. It is critically important to continue doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19 as the numbers of confirmed cases and deaths continue to increase. South Carolina sits at 475,601 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 8,222 confirmed deaths. The community positivity rate is currently 7.6%.
*We continue to stay current with CDC, DHEC and CMS guidelines while also practicing the “The Three Biggies” which include:
- Wearing a mask
- Social distancing
- Frequent handwashing with soap and water and utilizing alcohol based hand rubs
Visitation is BACK! Please follow the protocol below to enjoy a visit with your loved one.
- Visiting hours will be held from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM Monday-Sunday.
NOTE: Reasonable exceptions to these hours shall be granted per DHEC regulation 61-17 section 1003 Part J.
- All visits will take place in the resident room at all times.
- There will be no more than two visitors allowed in a residents room at one time.
The Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention must be adhered to and followed at ALL times to ensure that our residents enjoy a safe visit. The Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention are as follows:
- Screening of all who enter the facility for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., temperature checks, questions about and observations of signs or symptoms), and denial of entry of those with signs or symptoms or those who have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 infection in the prior 14 days (regardless of the visitor’s vaccination status)
- Hand hygiene (use of alcohol-based hand rub is preferred)
- Face covering or masks (covering mouth and nose)
- Social distancing of at least six feet between persons
- Instructional signage throughout the facility and proper visitor education on COVID-19 signs and symptoms, infection control precautions, other applicable facility practices (e.g., use of face covering or mask, specified entries, exits and routes to designated areas, hand hygiene)
- Cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces often and of visitation areas after each visit
- Appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) use by staff
- Effective cohorting of residents (e.g., separate areas dedicated COVID-19 care)
- Resident and staff testing performed in accordance with CMS guidance
*I encourage you to visit the CDC website and the DHEC website for the latest information and guidance related to COVID-19:
Thank you so much for your continued support and guidance! We couldn’t do this without you! Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly with any questions or comments:
OFFICE: (803) 326-3114
Efren Z. Whitehead, Jr.